Saturday 14 January 2012

Ultrabook? I am confused, are you?

We've all been lately hearing much on ultrabooks, different companies using the term pretty much to suit their brand of products. I was hoping CES 2012 to give a better picture, but it confused me even further! I thought it was just me and was kinda feeling stupid; then I came across this news article today (retrieved on 14-Jan) and thought to share with you all. Sigh! Thanks, I am not alone, Finally!

To summarise, the popular believe on what an Ultrabook is thats its a thin, light notebook with SSD (solid state devices) are ultrabooks. However, at the end of the day, it very much depend on how the OEMs wish to market their respective products.

Confused? Guess, we have to wait until the industry finetunes to find a common a definition. :-)

3 comments:

Tero said...

Intel seems to invent these terms to market devices built around certain processor/chipset families. It was the same with netbooks and MID (which did not arrive at stores at all).

Ultrabook are not marketed as netbooks as they represent more high-end and trendy laptops.

The term is also pretty close to Ultra-mobile PC (UMPC) which was a device category pretty near to Intel's MID.

Lal Chandran said...

Perhaps, its inevitable that all these converge to a powerful pad device? What do you think?

Sander said...

For me the definition of Ultrabook coincides with the overcoming of the resistance of using a laptop;

I have always found laptops to be lacking in multiple ways:
1) too heavy to casually carry around. Needs to be carried around in a separate bag, and never without a charger. Made my shoulder hurt..
2) too weak as a good replacement for a desktop.

Netbooks solved (1), but made (2) worse.
Pads also solve (1), but they really have a different usecase to be a serious replacement for a laptop/desktop, unless you only read email and news.

Right now I have an ultrabook which I just throw into a backpack without feeling like I carry around an anvil, has 7 hours of use from the battery, and is powerful enough to replace my old desktop.